Now available at the App Store, Ninja Assassin is based on the film, and throws you into the role. You’ll swipe the screen to swing your sword, tap to hide and throw shurikens, and much more.
I haven’t had a chance to exhaust the game, but it’s a fun, highly-stylized hack-and-slash with some twists. Additional game modes add to the playability, but the story mode is the main thing, and the progression of levels offers some variety to what is essentially just a killing spree. You can hide, thus allowing for the option to deliver surprise attacks, and there is some strategy to opting for different weapons. There is a bit of a learning curve, as simple as the gameplay seems when you go through the initial tutorial, and a few of the early targets will possibly leave you unsure about why they keep not falling down at you.
Warner Bros. Digital Distribution and Legendary Digital are converting iPhone and iPod touch-users’ fingers into deadly chain blades, razor-sharp shurikens and lethal katanas in Ninja Assassin, a brutal, action-packed game unleashed today on the App store.
Ninja Assassin is a stealthy side scrolling hack n’ slash action game featuring an innovative touch-based, gesture control scheme. The player controls a single combatant against a number of different mobs and bosses identical to the primary enemies found in the Ninja Assassin movie. The gameplay is intense yet intuitive, while the gesture system allows the player to pull off stunning attacks that provide rich, over-the-top visuals along with a feeling of empowerment.
The game follows Raizo, one of the deadliest assassins in the world, after he was taken from the streets as a child and transformed into a trained killer by the Ozunu Clan, a secret society whose very existence is considered a myth. Haunted by the merciless execution of his friend by the Clan, Raizo breaks free and vanishes. Now he waits in the shadows, preparing to exact his revenge.
Ninja Assassin’s story mode is designed around the film narrative and organized into four acts. In addition to story mode, players can experience the ultimate challenge of “survival mode” where they must outlast wave after wave of enemies. Players can then upload and share their high scores online within the game or post to their Facebook page for the world to see.
- Intense 3rd-Person Combat – Visceral “Hit-point” system allows player to sever enemy limbs
- Intuitive Hack-n-Slash Gameplay – Gesture-based combat controls enable the user to attack with a simple swipe of the finger
- Engaging Story – Featuring 12 action-packed levels spanning over 4 harrowing acts – separated by original hand-painted artwork inspired by the film
- Stunning Visuals – Showing-off highly stylized, vector-based character models
- Global Leaderboards – Player can rank themselves against the rest of the world
- Personalized Playlist – Listen to your own music while slicing and dicing your way through the game
- Multiplayer Mini-Game – Using Bluetooth connectivity, fling razor-sharp shurikens from one device to the other
Considering that this is an App, and movie tie-in game at that, there’s more to it than you might expect. It’s hard to say how long this one can keep you coming back, but it’s priced right, and the graphics are superb (though some shade of red much of the time).