Sometimes we have to admit our biases, and I have to come right out and say that I’ve been a TiVo subscriber/owner for very nearly as long as it has been possible to be. There are other options out there, but there is no sense in which I can recommend them as long as TiVo is available. You may think that because TiVo is called a DVR, and the cable company tells you the thing it gives you is also a DVR, that they are interchangeable, but nothing could be further from the truth.
My preference fully accounted for, TiVo has now upped the game yet again with the release of the TiVo iPad App. Giving you full control over your TiVo Premiere (sadly it doesn’t work with other models at this point, and my second TiVo is not a Premiere), the App doesn’t simply turn your iPad into a remote (though it does that too), it turns your iPad into a total screening access device.
In their own words –
The TiVo® App for iPad is a fun and FREE new companion for your TiVo Premiere box that lets you search, browse, discover and share without ever interrupting what you’re watching.
Now you can quickly surface new content, view guides, schedule and manage recordings, get recommendations, or investigate a particular actor’s entire resume—all using intuitive, gesture-based iPad interaction. It even enables you to post comments about a specific show or movie on your Twitter or Facebook page. It’s an innovative new way of interacting with your TiVo while you’re kicking back on the couch, or on the road.
It’s command central for your Premiere
- Browse full-screen program guide without interrupting playback
- Schedule one-time recordings and Season Pass® recordings
- Start watching a show with the flick of a finger
- Browse your recorded shows and quickly launch a video on your TiVo Premiere
- Search across broadcast TV and TiVo’s premium broadband providers—like Netflix and Amazon Video On Demand—and see integrated results
- Explore cast and crew while watching a show
- Post about what you’re watching on your Facebook page or Twitter account
- Intuitive-gesture based remote control or classic TiVo remote interface
- Manage Season Pass recordings and the To-Do List
It’s quick access to everything going on with your TiVo, which is a bonus for me, because I like to check the ToDo list to make sure the things I want to record aren’t accidentally being trumped by Dora the Explorer.
Of course, saying it does all these things is great, but it really works great. The full remote works beautifully, managing any function of the regular remote, and browsing around the features, setting up recordings, and searching for shows are all fast and easy.
For those who already have a TiVo Premiere and an iPad, this is a complete no-brainer, but more importantly, I consider this a major addition to the selling points of the TiVo. Even after only a few days of using the App, this pushes things to a new level. This kind of ease and control is almost unbelievable, and when it comes to you as a free addition to what you get out of your TiVo, it makes it a lot harder to think of it as just a DVR.
Don’t miss the video below.
- Schedule, Search and Browse for shows while you’re out of the house