By now you’ve probably seen the StockTouch App, even if that’s just because it popped up in the New & Noteworthy, or you caught the AppStore Rewind 2011 Picks, and noticed it at the top of the Finance selections as you were whizzing by to other categories.
I know so little about the financial world that I don’t even have a point of reference to begin explaining what I don’t know about this Apps actual usefulness. I can tell you what it does, and how well it does it, but I have trouble wrapping my head around whether or not it truly makes a difference to those who are apt to have any interest in the purchase. I am led to understand that it does. If you are interested in learning more about the stockmarket or what to buy stocks, you might be interested in how to buy stocks by Stocktrades or similar places of interest.
An example of where I’m going with this might be to look at the non-existent section of this article titled, “Things you wish StockTouch did.” My financially unqualified mind wouldn’t know where to begin, and I think that fact bears stating. Does it have everything you could ever want it to? I don’t know.
On the other hand, I do know Apps, and StockTouch is not only an amazing trove of information that gives you up-to-the-minute data on the stock market, but it’s pretty, and wonderfully simple to navigate. Basically a series of dynamic charts, with various options for sorting the data, you’ve got information at a glance, and the ability to tap to zoom in a dig through it.
It’s actually a somewhat dizzying amount of information, and the reason StockTouch really shines is that with just a couple of taps and swipe, you’ve moved through so much information that I can’t imagine how else you get it, not only this fast, but in any reasonably close timeframe. From daily, weekly, and monthly trends of a sector of the market, to the five-year history of a particular stock, then back around to a view of the whole market by volume, or winners, then a quick check of what your ten favorite stocks did today, and you can do it all in less time than it took you to read this. In a similar vein, if you’re looking to make investments in Bitcoin but are in need of the information to help clarify some of the more confusing aspects of cryptocurrencies, a site like VanillaCrypto can greatly help newcomers wrap their heads around this emerging technology.
As I said, I don’t play the stock market, so I’m not the best source for that side of things, but from the standpoint of use as an App, this one delivers. Most surprising, to me, is that it’s incredibly quick to move around, and the App suffers from no hangups, or otherwise glitchy movement problems that, quite frankly, you’d kind of expect, even from an App that costs money. Billed as utilizing a video game engine to deliver data, that’s the feel you get from it, and just the notion that I can find it fun to zoom around stock reports speaks volumes.
Rounding things out, the App links to news that might relate to any particular stock you’re looking at, and has even more features on the way.
It’s an entirely new level of “information at your fingertips” when it comes to Stocks, and for anyone remotely interested in a handy way to have all the data they could ever want, I can’t think of a better, slicker alternative.
Check out a lot more info below, and a video introduction.
For the Financial Pros
- StockTouch uses up-to-the-minute market data to create 9,800 dynamic charts, all of them available at your fingertips. You can customize your view of the market to view price or volume, and rearrange the layout to sort by market cap, winners, activity and alphabetical.
- StockTouch has a search function, offering two different ways to find any publicly-traded stock.
- You can use StockTouch to see the top 900 stocks in the U.S. market, as well as the top 900 global stocks, categorized across nine industry sectors.
- With StockTouch, you can go back in time, using the slider to see results from as far back as five years ago to as recent as five minutes ago.
- With live information, StockTouch allows you to see 1400 companies at any one time, supported by over 16,000 news articles.
- You can see the entire stock market as the day unfolds and zoom in to take a closer look at individual stocks with StockTouch.
- 9 sectors, 900 companies, 12,600 tiles of heat, 6300 charts, 10,800 news stories, all updated every 5 minutes, all at once.
- Through favorites, StockTouch allows you to keep track of the stocks that matter most to you, automatically syncing between your iPad and iPhone via iCloud.
- Future versions of StockTouch will include new visualizations, watch lists, portfolios, more analytics, international markets, and social features.
For the Technical Mind
- StockTouch was awarded the #1 iPad Finance App by Apple’s App Store Rewind 2011.
- StockTouch’s technology platform is the first of its kind to apply a video game engine to visualize statistical data, which is combined with a proprietary compression technology that transmits information at 20x the speed of comparable apps allowing the application to deliver up-to-the-minute market trends and numbers through a visually-intuitive, game-like, iOS-native interface.
- StockTouch was designed for mobile-touch. One fluid zoomable heat map interface displays 75% of all global trading activity, enabling investors to view the equity markets contextually as they unfold.
- StockTouch is a series of color-coded heat maps that gives you the pulse and direction of the market by price, volume, in the context of the S&P 500, well as by performance within a given sector.
- StockTouch brings revolutionary data visualization to the masses so that anyone can understand the dynamics of the stock market, not just the financial elite.
- StockTouch features a groundbreaking interface that combines design, animation and high performance, bringing together the power of data visualization and financial market data.
For the Casual Investor
- StockTouch is for everyone, not just traders– college students deciding on careers, jobseekers looking for new opportunities, salespeople calling on clients, retired people, entrepreneurs starting new businesses.
- StockTouch is a dynamic, tactile map of the market for iPad, iPhone and Mac desktop.
- StockTouch brings the market to your fingertips, and gives you a dynamic birds eye view of the stock market’s activities with a professional understanding of the stock market instantly.
- On StockTouch, shades of green indicate stocks that are gaining in value, while shades of red indicate stocks that are losing in value.
- StockTouch’s touch and zoom-based navigation makes rapidly flying through a large data set very natural and intuitive.
- StockTouch is currently available in the iTunes store as a universal app for iPad and iPhone.